Two days ago, I received my new-to-me Gilmore Big Wave, which was exciting in its own right, because I’ve been coveting this loom for years, but I also discovered some DMC embroidery floss I’d never seen before. It’s got a sheen completely unlike the rest of the company’s floss, and I fell utterly in love and bought a bunch to bring home, fully intending to weave with it, on the Wave.
Well, life goes on and as it does, you find yourself less able to do certain things, such as read fine print on labels unassisted. And as much as I hate admitting to getting older, I had no choice here. I was actually trying to find out if this new floss was the same length as the normal skeins (it is), and accidentally discovered the reason for this fabulous sheen: it is satin. Beautiful, slippery satin. And because embroidery floss is made up of six strands that are intended to separate, I bet you can guess what the ends of these floss skeins look like.
But I’m going to continue with my plan. I can’t not try. The colors are gorgeous, and if this works, the weaving will be stunning even if it’s a simple pattern. And if it works, I will buy more of that floss, because it’ll be worth the trouble. If it doesn’t, well, at least I gave it a shot. So this has the potential to be a beautiful disaster.
I had drawn up a tablet weaving pattern that incorporates all twenty of the colors I bought, which would have been a 44 tablet weave, my most ambitious attempt yet, but in setting up the warp, I learned a few things that required me to drop the pattern size back down to 23 cards and omit some of the colors. The main thing I learned is that my warping board can only carry so much on the pegs. Size ten crochet thread is a good bit thinner than this 0h-so-shiny floss, and if I was using that, I could have fit every color on the board. I also learned that the satin floss is quite a bit heavier than the more commonly used floss. As you unravel a skein, dropping each loop to unravel the next, you can both hear and feel the floss hit the floor. It’s got some heft to it. I haven’t yet checked, but it may even be thicker than the regular floss as well.
The video for warping the Wave makes it look very easy to do, and I hope that’s right. Part of me is terrified of dressing a new loom without help, especially with this slippery stuff, but I’m going to do it anyway. Even this post is a form of procrastination; the warp has been ready to be tied and transferred since last night. It took me the whole two days to get this far.
Oh, and I made another rookie mistake. I ordered a set of bone and a set of horn 4-hole square tablets from Germany, without checking the size of the ones I already had from Ampstrike. The bone set arrived yesterday, and they are tiny. Gorgeous, but tiny. Much smaller than Ampstrike’s. At that point, then I went back and checked the sizes. Ampstrike’s are 5.5 cm square, the German ones are 4 cm square. I initially ordered them to use together with Ampstrike’s, but in the end it will all work out. I have enough of Ampstrike’s in different colors and woods that I can use them together and easily differentiate between them, and I will be able to use the bone and horn tablets together.
You may have noticed that I’ve changed my photo setup with this post. The reason for this is that when I add more than one photo to a post, the only one that ever goes in the way I want it to is the first one. The rest muck up the text, and I haven’t figured out how to fix it. I’m not quite that tech savvy. So until I figure it out, this will be the way my posts look going forward.