I found a beginner’s micro-macrame project on YouTube this evening, so after the kids went to bed I gave it a shot. It’s fun, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially the part where I was able to use the S-lon bead cord to do it. That stuff has been sitting in my stash for several years doing nothing because it didn’t work for the purpose I bought it for. Now it has a purpose.
My project did not turn out like the instructor’s at all lol. But there was also a bit of improvisation on my part to make it work at all. Turns out that I had forgotten that my stained glass project board is plywood, not cork, so pinning anything to it is next to impossible. Okay, not next to, is impossible. Then I couldn’t find my head pins, only safety pins. Nor could I find my self-healing cutting mat. Improv was a necessity. So I grabbed the box my stethoscope came in and flipped it over to become my project board, and I bent a few safety pins to resemble–sort of–head pins, and went from there.
One of the most irritating things about S-lon is trying to straighten it in order to do anything with it. The instructor, Sherry Stokey, had an answer for that: run it through a curling iron. I have to admit I was a little skeptical, but gorram if it didn’t work perfectly! So I was off and running. The tutorial was very detailed, literally step-by-step, and about 45 minutes long, but once I’d done one, I had it memorized because it wasn’t hugely difficult, and I did a second one. It was no more perfect than the first one, but I did the steps correctly, at any rate.
So this is definitely a new rabbit hole…I have a whole lot of S-lon cord.