This past week has been one of those weeks that are as hectic as they are horrendous. Not all of it has been bad, but the parts that were, were really bad!
Over the weekend, Bryony got sick. Nothing to go running to the doctor for, but something made that little tummy very unhappy, and she threw up all over her father and his recliner, which, of course, necessitated a bath for each of them, as toddlers almost never give you any warning of impending doom, while I made an attempt at steam cleaning the recliner.
Now, I’ve mentioned that I worked as a vet tech for several years, and one of the things that occurs fairly often is that this happens with animals coming into the clinic, especially during parvovirus season. Never once have I had a problem cleaning messes in the clinic, but at home?! At home, I am useless once that particular issue makes an appearance in any of my dogs or kids. It’s different when it’s your own. Translation: it’s very difficult for me not to do the same thing! So I tried, but ended up having to leave that clean-up to hubby. Yeah, I know: I’m a wimp.
Bryony, of course, was perfectly fine ten minutes later. We, however, were completely traumatized.
In addition to the sick child scenario, there was the regular monthly grocery run, which means that I hit several stores in one day to get everything I wanted. Then there were the numerous phone calls back to my high school to request my transcript be sent to the school here. Mind you, I graduated high school in June,1986! No, I still haven’t reached the individual I’m supposed to talk to, and yes, you do have to provide a high school transcript, even after all these years. My personal opinion is that if I possess X amount of college credit to transfer over, well, then I obviously got a secondary education! But, I finally got that dealt with, got the references taken care of; in short, pretty much everything is done. Now I just wait and see if I can afford what financial aid won’t cover.
On the fibery side of life, I’ve managed to put in some more time in the practice sock on the sock loom, and have been practicing spindling more. The spindling has been going pretty well, at least on the Ashford. The whorl being wider, it spins a lot longer than either of my other two. The sock, on the other hand, isn’t coming along quite as well. Now that its starting to emerge from the bottom of the loom, the mistakes are becoming very, very obvious. There are holes where I’ve missed or lost stitches, and now I can see them. They’re all closer to the beginning of the piece, not to the more recent stitches, which tells me that I’ve improved, but doesn’t fix them. Good thing this one is only practice!