Today has been one of those days. You know the ones, where absolutely nothing goes right. It started last night. There was a thread on Ravelry talking about Navajo plying, and I got the bright idea to give it a shot.
Before I go any further, I have to say this and explain it: I will not refer to this as Navajo plying after this. The people of this nation do not call themselves Navajo, they call themselves Dine (dee-NAY). That is what they prefer, so that is what I will use.
So, I got this bright idea to try Dine plying, which involves using a single spun on the wheel, and plying it into 3-ply yarn. Regular plying involves two (or more) spools of singles on a lazy kate and spinning them together in the opposite direction to the way they were originally spun to get a plied yarn. Dine plying, according to the videos I watched on the subject, is one spool of a single on a lazy kate, and it’s plied by chaining that single, kind of like a crochet chain. It’s the only way I can think of to explain the process, and probably doesn’t do a great job, but there are videos on Youtube that show how to do it.
I understand it in theory, but in practice, well, it was a lot more difficult for me than regular plying. I don’t know how much it had to do with the fact that this was not perfect yarn to begin with, but it did not go well. I mangled it twice last night, to the extent that hubby finally dragged me away from Anansi, who I was snarling at by that point. This morning, the process continued, with another mangling to start the day, two breaks due to overspinning because I didn’t realize that the bobbin wasn’t taking up the yarn, and that was due to the brake band snapping in two. More growling ensued, and the hemp brake band was replaced with a strand of 3/2 mercerized cotton.
Before I could continue, I needed to brew coffee for hubby that he could take with him to school. He had a final this morning, and his anxiety about it kept him up most of the night, so the coffee was a necessity. We have one of those fancy coffee makers that dispenses the coffee like fountain drinks in restaurants, and lately it has been leaking from the dispenser. Generally, you can just sit the cup on the grate below the dispenser, and the leak has gotten so that you can fill the cup without ever pushing the dispenser button.
This morning, the stupid coffee maker decided to leak from somewhere else, so no coffee made it into the cup, but my countertop got covered. This elicited still more growling, and a mad dash to the Dunkin Donuts for a large coffee.
After that, I managed to finish the plying job without any more incidents. It is not beautiful, but it is done. And now that my roving is used up, I only had Sibe fur left, so I carded all of it into batts and started spinning them. Amazingly, I did a little better on gauge consistency (yay, me!). It’s still not perfect, but it’s a lot closer! I would actually call it a halfway decent chiengora! I spun all of what I had left, because Thor got a bath yesterday, and I’ll be grooming him tonight (read: fur harvest). I would have done it last night, but woolly-coated Siberians do not dry in a timely manner, unless you have one that will sit still for a dryer. Thor was bathed at 11 a. m. He was still very damp at 7 p. m., unlike his fur-siblings, who were dry by 1 p. m.
Lunchtime rolled around, and I proceeded to drop an egg, which naturally shattered on the floor, and which Bandit generously cleaned up for me. This was followed by my dropping a knife, which narrowly missed my foot, and that was followed an hour or so later by my dropping my iPhone on the cement on the way to picking up Aneira from school, where she had Field Day today. Fortunately, it didn’t break the phone!
All of this was compounded by a headache that I can not seem to shake today. I’m ready to go hide under the covers and try again tomorrow!