And she’s huge! My biggest table loom, Zoe, has a weaving width of 22″, Talyn’s is 18″, but this Schacht Flip has a weaving width of 25″! She came with two shuttles and a 10 dent reed, and I also bought the bag for her, which confused me for a minute, because there’s an extension zipped away at one side of the bag, and I couldn’t at first figure out why Inara didn’t fit. Then I unzipped what I thought was another pocket, and lo and behold, the bag got longer! Yeah, kinda felt like an idiot right about then. I’m very glad I opted to buy the trestle stand too, and realized that I also should have bought the attachable tray that holds the shuttles and things. I’ll have to see about the price for that, and I need another 10 dent reed for her. But she’s absolutely beautiful, and the only reason I’m not warping her tonight is the simple fact that I spent all of last night warping River, which took me until 5 am, and I had to be up at 7 in order to get the kids breakfast, get Aneira off to school, and then head for the Weaver’s Guild meeting. I should be exhausted, but I’m not.
As I said, warping River was a disaster. The bigger the warp, the more trouble I seem to have. I decided to try a table runner again, and was extra careful with the math this time. I made four separate warps on the board, one for each color I was going to use. Then I moved them onto River, and from there, everything went downhill. I didn’t tangle it much this time, but no matter what I did, the strings were uneven. Just two sections, both of them the border. Somehow they came up much shorter than the rest of the warp. I don’t know how. They were all done on the same warping
board. I took the whole warp off, tied onto the back rod again, making sure all ends were even, rolled the entire eight yard mess onto the warp beam again, tied onto the front rod, and came up short again. Repeat procedure, only to come up short yet again. I finally gave up (at 5), and cut off precious inches to make the front ends even with the border ends. Very, very annoying. But finally, she was ready for weaving.
Since I’m so addicted to pick-up weave on Moya, my inkle loom, I decided to try it on River, even though she was set up for a balanced weave, not the warp-faced weave I’m accustomed to with Moya when I do pick-up. Naturally, it looks completely different, but still very nice, and I’ve mixed it up with some leno weave. I’m actually liking the way it’s turning out!